01 September 2016
Optics in LED lighting
Optics is one of the key factors in the operation and duration of the LED lights. Optics in LED lighting design based on mirrors, lenses and elements that help control the projected light. Optics is essential to the efficiency of the light, the physical properties of glass lenses allow the lightbeam of amplified light and intensify their reach. Optical help direct light, increase your intensity or protect from glare.
Types of optics for LEDs
- Primary, is placed directly on the LED and protects each chip individual.
- Secondary, in charge to “mold” the light depending on the type of lens installed; lens types can be: divergent, to expand the light beam, or convergent, to concentrate the light beam at a particular point.
- Tertiary is composed of other external components that collect light from diverse LED lamps
Factors to consider for choosing an optical
- Types of projects: We can adapt each optical two projects: lighting interiors where you can find optical symmetrical diagrams, while public lighting projects, are often used asymmetric optics that direct light to specific areas to prevent light losses.
- Manufacture: The optical elements for lighting are made of polycarbonate to maximize light transmission. There are also other optical made of polystyrene having a lower optical performance and further deterioration over time but are cheaper to produce. Optical element to ENARLUX product are made of polycarbonate.
- Optical Performance: FWHM (Full Widht at Half Maximum) is a value showing the maximum optical performance of the device. The value of 10%; It indicates the angle at which the light intensity decreases by 10% from peak value. The closer this value of 10% of FWHM light more focused and less waste.
- CD / LM (candela per lumen) is the factor measuring the efficiency of the luminaire. Cd / lm value should be seen in combination with all factors of optics and analyzed carefully.
The optical components in LED lighting play a vital role for the ultimate success of the luminaire, there are many parameters to consider for each application or project to be compared between different optical solutions carefully.
You already know what optics to choose for your next project? If you have not already clear, we will be happy to help.
C/ Ventalomar 1, 45007,
(+34) 925 115 522
Enarlux Colombia S.A.S. Mall Toma Real, Carrera 9 #10 07, Local 24,
Neiva city - Huila, Colombia
(+57) 322 760 11 25
9th Floor, Amtel Building,148 Des Voeux Road Central –
Republic of China - Hong Kong
Tel : (852) 9547 1251
(GMT +08:00 hours)
ENARLUX born under the idea of being a world leader in the design and manufacture of LED lighting products with high quality and reliability.
ENARLUX performs strict auditing processes and manufacturing control, as well as a comprehensive selection of components that ensure a finished product of high durability and high performance.